Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to our guests, we are committed to excellence. The following is a list of frequently asked questions by our guest. If these questions promote additional questions, please ask. There is never a silly question. Our goal is to make you well informed and your stay as comfortable and care-free as possible.
Q: What would I do to optimally prepare for fasting prior to arrival?
Reduce your intake of all habitual and addictive substances 1 to 2 weeks before fasting. The more you reduce the garbage that you intake the easier the fast will be on you and your body. So gradually stop drinking alcohol and try to cut down on or stop smoking entirely.
- This procedure will reduce any potential withdrawal symptoms you may experience during the fasting process, as well as reduce the toxins in your body that the fast is going to work to eliminate.
- Habitual and addictive substances include alcohol; caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, and soda; cigarettes, or cigars
Alter your diet 1 to 2 weeks before fasting. As with removing addictive substances, you’re going to need to make a difference in your diet so that your body won’t have to work as hard to get rid of the toxins and bad substances that are so a part of eating these days.
- A good way to ease into this is to eliminate a few things a day (refined sugar products in the first couple days, meat in the next couple, and then dairy, etc.).
- Reduce your intake of chocolate and other foods that contain refined sugar and are high in fat, like sodas, chocolate, candy, and baked goods.
- Eat smaller portions of meals so that your digestive system doesn't have to work as hard, and so that your body starts to become accustomed to operating on fewer calories than it usually does.
- Reduce your intake of meats and dairy products, because these can clog up your system and are harder for your body to digest.
- Eat increased portions of cooked or raw fruits and vegetables. These will help your process better and have fewer toxins that it wants to get rid of. Limit your diet 1 to 2 days before fasting. This is when you really want to make sure that your body is prepared and this is why people can’t just jump into a fast without preparing ahead of time (or if they do, they have a much harder time during the fast itself).
- Eat only fruit and vegetables, because they will cleanse and detoxify your body in preparation for the fasting period. *If possible, we also highly recommend hydro colon therapy prior to your fast. This will help improve your routes of elimination.
Q: What should I pack?
A: Beach attire. After booking, you should receive an email giving you more assistance with “What to Pack and Last Minute Reminders.”
Q: What type of water is BFL using?
Q: When I arrive, where do I go to receive my food or juice?
A: Patio Bar and Grill is a full-service restaurant for the entire hotel. However, Juice for our guest is picked up by the guest, daily, at 8 am. Plant based eaters are free to enjoy their meals in the Patio Bar (Breakfast 8 AM, Lunch 12 pm, Dinner 5 PM) or request their meal to go. There is no room service available at this time.
Q: I’m here now, what am I supposed to do?
A: Take a deep breath and relax. You should receive a bag upon Before your arrival you should have received a call notifying you about an orientation time. That is the first activity of the retreat.
Q: Where do we meet for classes?
A: Although our classes are hosted at several different locations in the hotel, please arrive at the Cypress Room at designated times for activities. Staff will direct you on what to do next.
Q: What do I do with my free time?
A: Balance for Life is a unique experience for each individual. While some may want to enjoy the beach others may enjoy resting in their room (journaling, self-reflecting, ect) and some may want to tour the beautiful south Florida area. If you find yourself looking for excursions/activities to engage in during your free time, please ask our staff members to provide you with BFL approved recommendations.
Q: What to expect during my detox?
A: Detox, is an individual experience. In your orientation, we will discuss common detox symptoms. If there are any questions that you may have about detoxing, please address these concerns with Dr. Jeanne’ or Dr. Drucker.
Q: What if I want to switch my protocol (water, juice, Plant based SOS) while I am at BFL?
A: A 24-hour email notification is required to switch any protocol.